Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Noise

In yesterday's post I talked about a hockey game that I attended. There was one thing that I forgot to mention that I think also says much about the times that we live in. There wasn't a single moment while at Madison Square Garden last night when we weren't assaulted by noise. There were constant announcements, loud rock music, and crowd chants. I sort of remember going to games and hearing the puck bang off the boards and the players yelling to each other.

We are having our house painted this week so we had dinner out. While we were at the diner I noticed that they had music on as well and TVs on in every corner of the restaurant. Why is it that we can't have quiet anywhere? When you go to the doctor there's a TV on and in airport lounges you can't avoid some kind of stimulation. I prefer the quiet but I think I'm alone in this. Everyone on the bus seems to require some sort of stimulation be it an iPod or cell phone.

Were people that much duller or more organized before this electronic junk began to rule our lives?

No comments: