Friday, February 15, 2008

Our Nation's Capital

I spent yesterday visiting my company's office in Washington DC. I used to go there every year or so to fill them in on developments in NY and do some server configuration. Now that I am no longer in the Publishing Systems group I don't have as much responsibility for what goes on there. For a project that I'm working on now we did place a server there and it needed to be tended to.

Most of my colleagues would have made a two-day trip of it but I don't like staying in hotels by myself so I did it as a day trip. With Amtrak's Acela Express it is quite an easy trip. I left my house at 6:15 AM and was there by 10 AM. I caught a train to come back at 7 PM and was back in the house by 10:30. It was a full day of work and fortunately successful

Yesterday was Valentine's Day. I found it remarkable that at Union Station in Washington there were lines to get into the two high end chocolate shops. These holidays rankle me. I don't like to be manipulated into having to get someone a gift. Does this prove that I love them if I buy a gift? Does it prove I don't love them if I don’t?

We are puppy sitting this weekend. This time it's a golden retriever We’ll have her until Monday afternoon.

No comments: