Friday, February 1, 2008

Almost Shabbat

It's 4:15 on Friday afternoon and I've gotten as much done at work as I plan to this week. With a little luck the phone won't ring in the next 45 minutes and I can clear off my desk, make a to-do list for Monday and get back to Westfield without incident.

I had my performance review today and while it was overwhelmingly positive there was one thing that I got "dinged" for. We have a section on the review about adherence to our "Rules of the Road". In that there is a section on integrity. While none of my management question my integrity and honesty, I did receive a 2 out of 5. I'm in the needs improvemnt category.

The reason that I received this rating had to do with a conversation that we had over lunch several weeks ago. One of our projects this year was to try to reclaim disk space that is being taken up with old and unused files. I mentioned during this conversation that we had discovered lots of music files and lots of photos, some of which were inappropriate. This is a case of being careful what you say during what you think are casual conversations. The management folks responded by asking if we had reported these offending users to our Human Resources department. We had not thinking that we are not the police and this was not our business. Clearly we were wrong.

I can accept this type of criticism and I can even agree that they are probably right. I still don't want to get involved in something like this which will probably cause more pain than joy. I also know that I must be a lot more guarded in the things that I say in supposedly friendly settings.

No comments: