Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Better Day

Yesterday was one of those days where nothing would go right. I even tried to make a fire in the evening in our wood burning stove and couldn't make a go of that either. The best thing to do on days like that is to turn in early. For whatever reason I didn't sleep well either but a new day dawned and with that new possibilities.

Today’s adventure involved the bank. For the past year I’ve been taking care of my mother's finances. They are a bit complicated and took some time to get under control. I think that I'm just about there, though. The biggest part of it was trying to invoke my power of attorney, which she'd drawn up a few years ago. All of the papers were in order but getting each financial institution to recognize it took some doing. Citibank was the absolute worst requiring probably 7 separate visits to get everything in order. Washington Mutual was the best taking all of about 20 minutes.

Today I ventured back to Citibank to redeem a Certificate of Deposit. I was greeted with lots of suspicion but the woman who helped me with the process originally was there and remembered me. This transaction only took 30 minutes.

There is still a long list of things to do to get things totally sorted out and this doesn't include filing her taxes. One step at a time, though, and it will all get done.

No comments: