Sunday, January 6, 2008

Walking Around

When I was a kid on the odd Sunday my father would take my sisters and me on long walks. I used to think of these walks as "getting lost". We would wander around seemingly for hours and end up in marinas, junk yards, and often at Nathan's Famous in Coney Island. I don't think I knew the reason why we took these walks but I can guess it was the result of my mother badgering my father to spend some time with the kids and let her have some time to herself.

Whatever the reason I have very fond memories of these walks and we have some great photographs of those outings.

Today my wife and I took a long walk with our oldest daughter. It really wasn't a walk to nowhere but it certainly reminded me of one. We walked to the next town, Clark, about 3.5 miles away. We stopped at the library and then at Barnes and Noble for a coffee and then continued back to Westfield. We were out wandering about for close to 4 hours and were delightfully tired when we got home. After a few days of frigid weather it was quite pleasant today and good to be out.

The odd thing about our town is that we could probably count on one hand the number of pedestrians we passed. It's seems incredible that no one seems to walk anywhere.

No comments: