Thursday, January 24, 2008

Kerouac

Today during my lunch break I wandered over to the New York Public Library on 5th Avenue and 42nd Street and walked through the Kerouac exhibit. It's a remarkable collection of writings and memorabilia of someone who made a terrific mark on mid-20th century American culture.

Of course there's "the scroll", the manuscript of "On the Road" typed on butcher paper. What I found most remarkable was the material from his youth where he used to play games of fantasy baseball. What I found most remarkable was that I used to play a similiar game but with hockey. His were so much more realistic with made up teams and players and even newspaper articles about the games.

My fantasy players always were miscast. The great players in real life were poor or mediocre in the fantasy world and the bench warmers led the league. I guess my imaginary worlds weren't crafted as well as his. I haven't written an "On The Road" either.

No comments: