Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Out Sick

I've had a hacking cough for the past few days and after a sleepless night I decided to take today off. I'm not a big user of sick time and this is the first sick day I've taken in 7 months. Before that I think it had been more than 4 years since I took a sick day.

So, I spent the day sleeping, drinking tea, and reading old magazines. Not thrilling but I think that I'm feeling a bit better now. If I can get a good night's sleep I'll be back at work tomorrow. I didn't feel too bad about missing work because things are a bit slow now. We're at the point of talking about doing things in only the vaguest way. We were to have a meeting to decide on a vendor for an upcoming project but since the funding hasn't been approved and it could be a very long time before it is I wasn't sure what the point was and don't regret missing the meeting. What I think would have very little weight anyway since I think that the big boss has already decided based on some twisted reasoning of his own. So never mind the cost comparisons, spreadsheets, vendor interviews, and reference accounts.

Lenore has been piling up all of the "Jewish" magazines that have arrived over the past few years and mostly gone unread. There are old issues of Hadassah magazine, the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, B'nai Brith, and Jerusalem Reports. Today was a good day to make a dent in the pile. There was one article I found particularly thought provoking. It was about a woman who had discovered her Judaism in a small congregation in Colorado. When she moved to Austin, Texas she could not recreate the experience. In the end she pulled out of communal life completely and began to build a minyan of her own. At the writing there were only 2 families but she was hopeful.

No comments: