Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Skating Away

There's an ice skating rink in Bryant Park behind the New York Public Library that's open from late November until early February. It's free if you have your own skates and midday it is uncrowded. Yesterday and today I walked over and took a few turns around the ice.

I'm not sure why but I never learned to skate as a kid. I remember once while in college taking myself to the rink in Coney Island to see if I could do it. I've been out occasionally but I've never felt like I've gotten it.

About 2 years ago I saw an ad in the LL Bean catalog for "comfort skates" Rental skates were never comfortable so I thought I'd give these a try. We have an LL Bean Visa credit card so with every $1,000 we spend they send us a $10 gift certificate plus we get free shipping from LL Bean. I basically got these skates for free.

Monday was frustrating but I managed to stay on my feet. Today was a bit better getting a little speed up and managing not to think about falling all of the time. The weather today was in the balmy 60's and there is something magical about gliding around the ice with tall buildings on all sides. It also helps that everyone there seems happy and flushed with the glow of health.

Weather permitting I'll be there every day until they close for the season.

No comments: