Monday, December 24, 2007

Twas the Night Before...

the 25th of December and it was hard to figure out where everyone was today.

The buses were on a holiday schedule meaning that they ran infrequently and local. It didn't matter much, though, since there was no traffic on the roads and I made it into New York in near record time. This was a record on the fast side not the slow as has been the norm lately. At work there was hardly anyone there. None of the management was there and the regular folk took their cues from them and stayed at home.

I truly love days like today. I had a single phone call and it wasn't even someone wanting something from me. It was actually someone looking to help me with a problem that I was trying to solve. I had a short list of things to get done and I was able to do them all, thoroughly and carefully. Even nicer was the fact that I had time at lunch to get my hair cut and eat away from my desk. A colleague invited me to join them in the cafeteria and we talked about stuff other than work.

Tomorrow, unlike December 25ths past, I won't go into work. I am on call but things have been pretty stable over the last few weeks so in all likelihood I won't have any calls to answer.

Days like these make me wonder if I wouldn't prefer to work more from home. I do like the quiet time to concentrate on what I am supposed to be doing. When I work from home, though, I find myself restless and craving the human contact.

1 comment:

Sharón Benheim said...

Work in the Arava Institute for Christmas has looked just like all the other hectic days we have around here. Other than the carolling that woke up our Christian students this morning... there was nothing but a few Eid Mubaraka nd Merry Christmas emails to notice the season....

miss you - it's nice to catch up like this...

sharón