Thursday, December 27, 2007

Thursday at Home

In keeping with the spirit of not working too hard this week, I took today off. I did it at my bosses encouragement who said that I should take a "comp" day for all of the extra time that I'd been working. I wasn't going to argue.

Any day that I don't have to travel far is a pleasant day in my current way of thinking. I slept reasonably late and got a newspaper first thing. I worked on various things around the house and then went to the "Y". Although, we joined over a month ago this was the first time that I went. It was nice being able to exercise and not have to brave the elements. The four of us then walked downtown and ran a few errands. The high point was stopping at Paneira for a coffee and an orange scone. I highly recommend them.

The good feelings of today are tempered, though, by the horrendous news from Pakistan. Oddly the assassination of Benazir Bhutto upset my elderly mother terribly. I think that she ignores much of the news but this event troubles her. It is upsetting to me as well. It makes me wonder what drives people to be so intolerant of opposing viewpoints. I don't believe that this is a problem particular to Pakistan or that it is a growing phenomenon. It's been here forever and will probably always be with us. There are small people who believe that killing someone can kill their ideals as well. The good news is that there are great people who are still willing to stand up for what they believe in despite the risks.

No comments: