Thursday, December 6, 2007

Birthdays

Today is my daughter's 20th birthday. It's funny how easily I remember that day. It's been quite a journey and I want to say that I enjoyed being there while she was growing up and I admire the woman that she has become.

Fortunately or unfortunately for my daughter, I wrote down the details of that days events in 1987 and it's included in a photo album of her baby pictures. I also included the front page of The New York Times of that day. It may not be a day that will go down in inter-galactic history but it will mark one of the most exciting days in my life. Most of this isn't of interest to anyone but her immediate family but I'm sure the feelings that fathers and mothers feel, particularly about their first born, are very similar.

I have 2 pieces of advice for new parents. These hold true for me even today:

1. Everything that you do is wrong.
2. When you think you finally know what you are doing it all changes.

This really isn't meant to be cynical. I am trying to say that we all make mistakes and that we should be ready to change our way of thinking and doing as the situation dictates. Sometimes changing the diaper works, sometimes it's a car ride, and sometimes reading that story just one more time does the trick. In later years it seems to be more about listening. Throughout it all I think it's about providing a good example.

No comments: