Wednesday, December 26, 2007

and then the day after

This week might have revealed the perfect work schedule. I worked on Monday was off yesterday, I'll be off tomorrow, and back Friday. There isn't enough time to get frustrated with anything.

Yesterday I got up early and took an hour long bike ride through the towns of Scotch Plains, Clark, and Cranford. It being Christmas morning the roads were empty. Temperatures in the high 30s and light breezes made for good riding. I was so lulled by the empty roads that I almost got into a collision with another biker. I was going to take the left fork and I glanced back just to be sure as another rider whizzed by me. I was going to be angry that he didn't have the courtesy to announce himself but thought better of it.

In the afternoon we all ventured down to Huber Woods near Navasink, New Jersey. We'd never been there before but I found the listing in one of our guidebooks about good hikes for children. The park is small but secluded and we were practically alone on the trails. It's a mix of hardwood, swamp, and sandy stretches. The woods are beautiful in winter. The leafless tress are stark but not lifeless. We enjoyed the quiet. We also sang a few rounds while we were walking to break the silence.

I concluded the evening at the movies. We saw The Golden Compass which just didn't succeed as a movie. It was confusing, dark, and didn't hold true to the novel. There were only five of us in the theatre.

No comments: