Thursday, December 20, 2007

Camp Kindervelt

From the time I was 11 years old until I was 16 I went to a summer camp in Orange County New York about 50 miles north of New York City. They were very happy summers and while, in reflection, it wasn't a great camp, it was a place that I felt very comfortable and I felt I belonged.

The camp was called Kindervelt and it tread a middle course in the Jewish world. It wasn't particularly religious although it had services on Friday night and Saturday. It wasn't particularly Zionist but Israeli dancing and songs were part of the programs. It couldn't decide to be Hebrew speakers or Yiddish speakers or what. There was a time when the color war cheers needed to be in English, Hebrew, and Yiddish. Vus es der fahr der Kindervelt?

About 3 years ago I discovered that, although the camp had closed in 1971, there were a dedicated bunch of folks collecting memorabilia and stories from the camp years which spanned from the 20's. Golda Meir had visited in the 1940's and many alumni had gone on to great careers.

Recently, I discovered that many of my old friends had gotten their names on the mailing list and they had never lost touch with each other. Today I got a call at work from someone who I had met at camp who I had not thought of, seen, or heard any news of in 36 years. When we spoke it was like we had just seen each other last week. The problem was that we just had too much to talk about.

Just when you think life holds no more surprises there is something new to marvel at.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went there from 11 years old to 14 years old...I think my last year was in 1971. My name was sharyn cantin now sharyn sharer...Would love to get on mailing list at sharala567@aol.com...My brother also went there!

Dave said...

I was a camper in 1963. Had a lot of fun and those memories are still with me. I recall the first month, being homesick, wanting to go home. After parents visitation day, I wish camp lasted a year. They played the most appropriate current big hit of '63 over the loudspeakers every morning, "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah".
We even walked over to Kutsher's Country Club to see Bo Bo Brasil and professional wrestling in person. Every child should spend a summer away from home.

Zev Rosen said...

berheduI was in Kindervelt 1943. Bunk 10 Manny Aizenberg was in the bunk bed next to me. He then went on to greatness on Broadway. Zvi Schooler was Camp Director. In 1949 I was a busboy at Unser Camp. Golda Meir who Baby-sat my mother when they were both at Kibbutz Merchavia in 1920s.She told me stories about my Mother that my mother told me about Golda. Unser Camp had Yidish programs and speakers. Zev (aka Walter)Rosen.

Paula said...

My parents went to both Camp Kindervelt and Unsercamp. My mother, who is 90, remembers going there for years as a child, eventually met my father who would also later go there. They married in the 40s. My mother talks about Zvi Schooler as well.

My mom doesn't have a computer. If you have any memories you care to share please email me!

Paula Cohen-Martin
Fanwood NJ paula@paulacohenillustration.com