Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Sunday After Thanksgiving

I've had 2 days in which I have not had to stray far from home. This feels like such a gift to me. I have never looked for the hectic life but it seems to have found me.

Today I got to enjoy the domestic life. I finally roused myself from bed at 9 AM. I grabbed a look at the newspaper before going out for a short bike ride through the park. It was cold but not bone chilling. Just cold enough to make me want a bowl of oatmeal when I came back. For me oatmeal is only good when you have enough time to cook it so the oats get creamy. I don’t like to see individual grains. I realize that this isn't a universal taste since my daughter Raisa likes it a bit drier and chunkier. Most mornings don’t afford me enough time to do justice to a slowly cooked bowl of oatmeal so that makes 2 gifts for today.

Charlie's Oatmeal Recipe
in a small saucepan combine
1/2 cup oats
1 cup water
dash of salt
Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer
When it gets to the desired thickness, add another 1/4 cup water
Let it simmer until it's the desired thickness again.

Lenore and I raked some leaves and then we took a family walk to the next town. We had a coupon at a new bakery for “buy one loaf get one free”. I do like to bake my own bread but I need to see what’s out there to be sure I’m not wasting my time. Early indications are that my bread is indeed better.

Tonight promises time to finish the Sunday newspaper and get ready for the coming week.

No comments: