Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Ben's, a Restaurant Review

I don't normally go out to lunch. I rarely have the time to spend and I feel guilty about the expense. Today was an exception, though. A cousin who is the oldest friend that I have was celebrating a birthday. It has been traditional for us to go to Ben's Delicatessen on 38th Street in midtown Manhattan.

Ben's is a Kosher delicatessen in a style that was familiar to me from my youth in Brooklyn. Ben's, unfortunately, is not kosher enough for most of the tribe. I'm not sure how or why they fell from grace but the orthodox crowd seems to shun this place. There is another deli nearby that meets their standard but their corned beef doesn't meet mine. Today's meal was fine except for the fact that they could not satisfy my request for pumpernickel bread. What kind of deli doesn't have pumpernickel?

The rest of this week should be quiet. There is mass confusion about whether Friday is a company holiday. The corporate calendar says that Friday is a holiday but the newspaper calendar says that it isn't. Some muckedy-muck decided that despite the fact that we are corporate employees we work at the newspaper and thus don't have the day off. I'd be willing to bet that the guy who made this decision won't be on Friday.

No comments: