Sunday, August 17, 2008

More Vacation

I'm beginning my second week of vacation tomorrow. I think that it takes about a week to get accustomed to not going to work. Today was a satisfying day of not working. Busy, fun, and I'm wonderfully tired now. I biked to a pancake breakfast in Lava, New York. There really isn't a town called Lava. It's more like someone drew a circle on the map and said "wouldn't it be cool if we called this circle Lava? People will always wonder why we called it that and wonder what's there." As far as I can tell all that is in Lava is the firehouse. This has not been one of my favorite events of the summer but today it was surprisingly good. Lava is only about 6 miles from where we are but I took a roundabout route through Narrowsburg and made it an 18 mile circular trip. I went alone and sat next to three enormous people. They were friendly enough.

Lava's pancake breakfast distinguishes itself by being a buffet where most of these events are sit down and served family style. Lava's also includes home fries and cake which aren't found in the others. For the record, my favorite pancake breakfast (which I missed this summer) is in Youngsville, New York. This is followed closely by Obernburg, Callicoon Center, and Jerfersonville.

The rest of the day was spent mostly hanging around by the lake; swimming and playing with the kayak. We took a short drive before dinner to take photos of the new gas pipeline that is being laid near hear. It's huge and scary looking. Fortunately, they are going to bury it.

No comments: