Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back by Poplular Demand

Thank you all for noticing that I hadn't posted in a while. I can't promise that future posts will be interesting but I will promise more regular ones.

The summer has been slow to get started. Although, it has been quiet at work I don't feel as if I've gotten into the swing of things. Generally, we spend the summers shuttling between New Jersey and Lake Huntington, NY. This summer we've only been there twice although starting this Friday I'll be on vacation for two weeks and I hope to spend much of it up there.

The highlight of the summer has been a bike ride that I took with my daughter from our home in New Jersey to Lake Huntington (again). Two days and 132 miles. She was an incredibly good sport despite heat, hills, and an error that cost us an extra 22 miles. The scenery was wonderful except for a pretty long stretch on Route 206. We had a wide shoulder but the traffic whizzed by us at an alarming speed. I was reminded during this ride how rural much of New Jersey is. We passed farms and fields and large stretches without cars or people.

Here's what I learned from this trip: always carry identification. I had booked a room around half way but they wouldn't let me have it because I had no ID. We had to backtrack 11 miles and it was a good thing because there was a neat lightning storm that night. It probably worked out for the best because the motel we ended up at was nicer with a very pleasant Italian restaurant right next door.

I'm looking forward to my next ride and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm not sure Raisa will accompany me again but I was glad she did this time.

No comments: