Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Running in the AM

Since I was a teenager I've been running. What I mean by that is that I take it up from time to time and then sometimes lapse. I always come back to it. I can only run in the morning, though. I attribute this to the fact that if I really wake up I'll talk myself out of doing it. It's only something I can do when I'm semi-conscious.

I don't know if it is psychological but when I'm running regularly I have a more positive outlook on life. I've been going out pretty consistently 4 - 5 times a week for the past month. My route these days is around the neighborhood and then for 2 laps around the middle school track. Sometimes I think wistfully of my days of running along the Brighton Beach Boardwalk. End to end that was 2.5 miles so a round trip gave me a 5 mile run. Nowadays, I'm running about 2.5 miles in the morning. I'm hoping to keep at it long enough so I can run 4 miles each morning. The goal will be a 10K race in the fall.

The trick for me is to get in "the zone". This means that I sort of forget I'm running and just think deep thoughts with no interruptions. Running in the early morning is good for that since I don't have to compete with much traffic.

No comments: