Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Bicycling

The weather was glorious this past weekend. I managed two extended bike rides on the roads of Sullivan County, New York. I even managed to travel a route that I'd never been on before.

On Sunday there were three pancake breakfasts listed in The River Reporter. Two of them I had travelled to before but one was new to me. On the pancake breakfast scale it rated pretty low but on the scenic bicycle ride scale it was one of the best. It was in a place called Kaneounga Lake which is not far from the Woodstock Music Fair Site (We are stardust, we are golden). It was about 12 miles each way. It was just enough to work up a good appetite but there were no hills that made me wish I'd stayed home.

The pancakes were fair and unlike the other "all you can eat" events we were restricted to one helping. The breakfast was to benefit the volunteer fire department so I don't begrudge them their fee. It simply did not compare to the pancakes that you can get in Obernberg, NY the site of one the competing breakfasts. That, in my mind, is the mother of all pancake breakfasts at least in the Sullivan County Catskills.

Yesterday morning I ventured down to Narrowsburg, NY on an early morning bike ride. It's such a sleepy pretty town. The Main Street Cafe was not open for breakfast so we just got a coffee and breakfast sandwich at the trendy coffee place Roasters. It was enough of a boost to get me back up the hills to Lake Huntington. It wasn't enough though to make me think midway that I really needed pancakes to do this ride.

No comments: