Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Who Really Won the Election (or the cold war)?

The headline in today's newspaper was all about another bailout. This time for the automobile industry. The catch to this one is that Congress wants to have a say in what the auto makers will be doing. It's not nationalizing the story says.

The truth is that I can't conceive of what this much money looks like. Somehow, our government has spent over $1 trillion dollars that it doesn't have in the past 3 months, and these are the austere, let's cut taxes Republicans that are doing it. What's going to happen with a Democratic president and more Democratic congress?

How has this affected me? So far, I'm worth far less on paper. New York Times stock which I gleefully accumulated over the years through payroll deductions is now trading at $7.35. This is actually good news since a few days it was at $4.20. When you compare it to the go-go days of over $50 a share it makes me pause. I won't mention my 401(k) Hopefully there's another dozen years or so until retirement.

No comments: