Thursday, September 11, 2008

Simple Pleasures

I’ve always been a little late coming to certain of life’s pleasures. I didn't learn to ride a bicycle until I was 11 years old, didn’t really have a serious girlfriend until well into my college years, and didn’t learn to drive a car until I was in my thirties (although I gave that up when I realized I was way too blind and a public safety hazard). My newest found pleasure is my bird feeder. Earlier this summer we got a real spiffy model from LL Bean from several gift certificates that we had earned from our credit card company. We used these to buy a supposedly squirrel proof design that we put up outside our dining room window.

I now realize that squirrel proof is an impossibility but they are really just part of the fun. The variety of birds and other beasts that visit make it hard for me to leave for work in the morning and I find myself constantly drifting back to the window to see what’s going on out there on days when I’m home. Granted, the majority of the birds that stop by are common house sparrows but we get crows, blue birds, a pair of cardinals, pigeons, and even a chipmunk who picks up the stuff the others drop. We’re going through a lot of bird seed but it’s an investment that I’m thoroughly enjoying.

No comments: