Thursday, May 7, 2009

Kindle

I’ve got a new toy that I’m extremely enthusiastic about.

Through a bit of good fortune and a little cleverness I’ve gotten a free Kindle 2. For those not familiar with this device it’s an electronic book reader. It’s about the size of a paperback book and ¼ inch thick. It can hold about 300 books and has an adjustable font size.

Amazon built these things so they could sell more books but for the industrious it can provide lots of legal free entertainment. The lightweight and compact design make it ideal for the commuter and the fact that it stores more than one book saves me from the finishing a book at the beginning of a commute dilemma. There’s only so much staring out the window at the NJ Turnpike that one I can endure.

I’ve discovered a bunch of sites that have electronic forms of books that are beyond copyright and freely downloadable. It’s a simple matter of e-mailing the pdf form to the kindle and within a minute it’s there ready to read.

No comments: